Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Scary Movie Night at the Neighbour's House

When I was five in 1971, I went to a friend's place to watch a scary movie on a black and white TV. All the neighbourhood kids must have been there with no empty chairs and no empt spot left on the floor. The house seemed like a theatre with the lights turned off while we watched.

At the end of the movie it was already very dark outside. Everyone started going home and no one was going my way towards my house which was only a two minute walk away. A few of the guys gave each other warnings of things that might come out of the shadows. The images of the walking tree monsters from the movie starting coming back into my mind. Then I started thinking about ghosts lurking to the side of the exterior doors that led up to our place on the second floor of a house that we rented. I heard stories about this particular ghost but never actually seen it myself. I froze. I didn't want to go home. I knew that a ghost or a monster of some kind would jump out at me as soon as I started going up the stairs. Finally when everyone was gone I just raced home running all out. Up the stairs, no creepy hands with long nails or floating ghosts appeared among the dark shadows. The unlocked door saved me from the 30 seconds of waiting torture. Home safe at last.

There's no place like home, indoors! At 43, I still love watching horror movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment